On today’s recap episode, we break down the core lessons and extract the golden nuggets from our interview with the original “shark,” Kevin Harrington. Kevin is a true American legend in the world of business, investing, marketing and sales. He is the original “shark” on the hit TV show Shark Tank, the creator of the infomercial, pioneer of the As Seen on TV brand, and co-founding board member of the Entrepreneur’s Organization.
Have your mind blown this episode with the story of how a fishing lure infomercial went from making zero sales to becoming a $500,000 million product under the expert eye of Kevin Harrington. We use this story to discuss the importance of discovering your core target audience, reconfiguring your ad placements, and the key to successful negotiating. We also dive into Kevin’s seamless ad spend formula, the value of mentors, and the importance of learning to lean on others. If you didn’t catch the full episode, get the key takeaways right here!
Listen to the episode below
Key takeaways from this episode
- Why no one was buying fishing lures from TV commercials, until Kevin Harrington.
- The power of reconfiguring our ad placements according to a core target audience.
- The importance of interpreting data and seeing what platform audiences are responding to.
- Discover the key principal that Kevin has built his entire business reputation on.
- Why we can all learn from infomercials as most ads today use the exact same formula.
- Tease, Please, and Seize: Kevin’s ad spend formula and how to apply it to our products.
- Find out why we have to start with the problem our product solves for our market.
- The power of creating a Golden Rolodex: Why we are who we surround ourselves with.
- Accepting that we weren’t built to know everything and how mentors fill our gaps.
When you market to everyone, you market to no one.” — @aj_vaden
“We don’t need to reach more people, we just need to reach the right people.” — @roryvaden
“You weren’t built to know everything – you don’t have to be the end-all and be-all in your business.” — @aj_vaden
“Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Get mentors, get coaches. Do it!” — @roryvaden
About Kevin Harrington
Kevin Harrington is an original shark from the hit TV show Shark Tank and a successful entrepreneur for more than forty years. He’s the co-founding board member of the Entrepreneurs’ Organization and co-founder of the Electronic Retailing Association. Kevin is the inventor of the infomercial. He helped make “But wait… There’s more!” part of our cultural history. He’s one of the pioneers behind the As Seen on TV brand. He has heard more than 50,000 pitches, and launched more than 500 products generating more than $5 Billion in global sales. Twenty of his companies have generated more than $100 million in revenue each. He’s also the founder of the Secrets of Closing the Sale Master Class inspired by the Master of sales—Zig Ziglar. He’s the author of several bestselling books including Act Now: How I Turn Ideas into Million-Dollar Products, Key Person of Influence, and Put a Shark in Your Tank.