On today’s show, we dive in to recap the life-changing conversation we had with Les Brown and his daughter Dr. Ona Brown in our previous episode. There were three major themes to take away from our interview with them that we will elaborate on today:
For ‘possibility’, what Les said about how we either form the word ‘yes’ or ‘no’ in our hearts before the age of 5 was particularly poignant. We literally have the power to reach our dreams and become masters of our own destinies, and therefore the value of having an outlook based on ‘yes’ can’t be overemphasized enough.
Listen to the episode below
Key takeaways from this episode
- Stories, rather than information, are the key to world-changing speaking.
- Inspired speeches come from the urge to make a difference, rather than claim the limelight.
- People live their lives based on the stories they believe about themselves.
- Ona and Les help people dismantle these stories and construct better ones.
- Les and Ona preach to speak from the heart rather than the head.
- First realizing anything can be done, and then deciding on what that is and how to do it.
- Good circumstances can be created.
- From the age of 0 to 5 we develop our outlook, which is either based on “yes” or “no”.
- Overcoming the three C’s (change, complexity, competition).
- The story Les tells himself is that he has greatness in him.
- What you put out comes back to you.
- Les’ message speaks through him, rather than from him.
- How Ona shines her own light next to her father by believing in her uniqueness.
- Les’ current goal is to teach people how to train others to change the world.
- Seek collaborative, achievement-driven, supportive, inspiring relationships.
- Seek relationships which will help you grow mentally and spiritually
- How to be greater by seeking quality people and utilizing technology.
- Before you start building your #personalbrand, ask yourself, “Do I genuinely want to make the world a better place all the way until I take my last breath?” @LesBrown77 @OnaBrown
- The difference between a great speaker who changes the world and a good speaker is that great speakers know how to tell great stories. @LesBrown77 @OnaBrown
- Three factors in being a great speaker: Get a coach, have a signature message, and use that message to transform your audience individually and collectively.@LesBrown77 @OnaBrown
- We emphasize the importance of speaking from your heart and not your head. When you speak from the heart, your heart is going to connect with the hearts of the audience. @LesBrown77 @OnaBrown
- People who change the world use stories.” – @LesBrown77
- “I’m the message midwife and I help people to actually give birth to their unique message.” – @OnaBrown
- “How people live their lives is a result of the story they believe about themselves.” – @LesBrown77
- “I was going to be able to reach people once I was able to celebrate and embrace who I was in my own unique way. That’s what a speaker has to do for themselves.” – @OnaBrown
About Les and Ona Brown
Les Brown is a dynamic personality and one of the world’s most renowned motivational speakers. As a leading authority on achievement, he has spoken for individual audiences as large as 80,000! He’s known for energizing people to meet the challenges of the world around them. His daughter and business partner, Ona, has also made her mark as an expert in personal and professional transformation throughout the world. She has inspired and motivated audiences in hundreds of cities in the U.S. as well as numerous locations abroad including London, England; Sydney, Australia; Johannesburg, South Africa and Stockholm, Sweden. Together in their new business, they teach people to skillfully weave compelling stories into the fabric of their presentations to become more effective speakers.