When it comes to learning the mechanics of world-class speaking, who might we look up to as role models? It is not the highest paid speakers, celebrities, or politicians, but rather the World Championship of Public Speaking winners who truly set the benchmark. They are the masters who have turned this craft into a science. Today’s guest is Ed Tate, himself a World Championship winner, and one of Rory’s early idols. Ed is a Certified Speaking Professional and has been a corporate trainer, keynote speaker, and executive coach for people who want to make winning high stakes presentations for over 20 years. He joins us on the show today to share his perspectives about what building a reputation and staying on top of your game truly means.
Ed speaks about an early strategy he used to build his following by selling the products of other companies while simultaneously leveraging their audiences. Joining this episode, you will also hear about how Ed managed his huge early successes, as he shares the thought processes that helped him choose between a career in corporate America and a one in professional speaking. He also has some wise words of advice around the urgency he felt to actively leverage his reputation after winning the World Championship, as he knew he had a temporary window in which to make the most out of that success. Ed literally went from being a child with a stutter to a World Championship-winning speaker so tune in to hear the finer details of how it all happened!
To learn more about how to build and monetize your personal brand, click here to request a free strategy call
Key Points From This Episode:
- Ed’s perspectives on reputation.
- The idea that it’s a tragedy to have no reputation if you’re talented.
- Fundamental building blocks of reputation: distinctiveness and knowledge of one’s brand.
- Contributors to Ed’s success: winning the World Championships and becoming a CSP.
- Benefits of working for Career Track: stage time and brand association.
- How Ed learned that once you are on stage you have a right to own it.
- The importance of only working for a company to build your reputation temporarily.
- Ed’s motivation for getting into speaking: his childhood stutter.
- Early activities that prepared Ed to be a great speaker: basketball commentating and more.
- Ed’s experiences with, and approach to, winning the World Championship.
- How Ed realized he needed to leverage his victory, not just sit back and enjoy it.
- The decision Ed made to keep speaking as a hobby if he couldn’t make money from it.
- A bet Ed hedged to give his speaking an 18 month period to succeed.
- How Ed had a mindset shift after losing his business and hearing a less fortunate story.
- The ‘never put up a zero’ mentality that Ed took on after losing his business.
- Combinations of factors that led to Ed’s speaking gigs: writing, mass mailers, and social.
- Avenues to advertise yourself and how Ed learned he needed more of them.
- The value of investing for your interest, or investing based on your needs, not trends.
- Final advice from Ed: prepare for pressure, and start today!
and so much more!
“Reputation, I think, is that mental space that you possess in someone else’s head.” — @ETate [0:03:20]Click To Tweet
“There’s nothing on stage I can’t handle.” — @ETate [0:09:54]“There’s nothing on #stage I can’t handle.” — @ETate #reputation #personalbrand #speaker #author #influentialpersonalbrandpodcast http://brandbuildersgroup.com/blog Click To Tweet
“There are significantly more important things in the world than you losing your business.” — @ETate [0:19:58]“There are significantly more important things in the world than you losing your #business.” — @ETate #reputation #personalbrand #speaker #author #influentialpersonalbrandpodcast http://brandbuildersgroup.com/blog Click To Tweet
“Inertia, procrastination, and perfection – they cost you money. Activity improves morale, motivation, and it makes you money, so start.” — @ETate [0:32:35]#inertia, #procrastination, and #perfection – they cost you #money. Activity improves #morale, #motivation, and it makes you money, so start. — @ETate #reputation #personalbrand #speaker #author #influentialpersonalbrandpodcast… Click To Tweet
To learn more about how to build and monetize your personal brand, click here for our free video course
About Ed Tate
Ed Tate won the “American Idol of Public Speaking” and became the World Champion of Public Speaking; Toastmasters International’s most prestigious speaking award among its 352,000+ members. Ed has also earned the Certified Speaking Professional (CSP) designation from the National Speakers Association and to date, he has spoken professionally in 50 states, 25 countries and on 5 continents. His professional expertise is delivered through his signature program High-Stakes Business Presentations: How to Sell Products, Services and Yourself!
Ed Tate — https://edtate.com/
Ed Tate on LinkedIn — https://www.linkedin.com/in/edtatecsp/
Darren Lacroix — https://darrenlacroix.com/
Career Track — https://www.pryor.com/
Enlighten Leadership — https://www.enlightenleadership.com/
Tony Robbins — https://www.tonyrobbins.com/
Mark Sanborn — https://marksanborn.com/
Laura Stack — https://theproductivitypro.com/
Jay Shetty — https://jayshetty.me/
Mel Robbins — https://melrobbins.com/
Rachel Hollis — https://thehollisco.com/
Gary Vaynerchuk — https://www.garyvaynerchuk.com/
Jane Atkinson — https://www.speakerlauncher.com/
Craig Valentine — https://craigvalentine.com/
Mark Brown — http://markbrownspeaks.com/
David Brooks — https://www.speakersla.com/speakers/david-brooks/
Brand Builders Group — https://brandbuildersgroup.com/
Click the link below to listen and subscribe!
We will give you free 30-day access to 25 of our most popular interviews on video in your own private members-only area. So go right now, rate us, review us and then send a screenshot of it into [email protected] and we’ll get you set up with free access to our most popular videos interviews all in one place. Also, just please share, share, share this podcast with anyone who you think might enjoy it.
And until next time, remember that building a business isn’t nearly as valuable as building a reputation.
Connect With Rory
Rory Vaden is the New York Times bestselling author of Take the Stairs. His insights have been featured in the Wall St. Journal, Forbes, CNN, Entrepreneur, Inc, and several other major media outlets. As a world-renowned speaker, his TEDx talk has been viewed over 2 million times. He is the Co-Founder of Brand Builders Group and the host of the Influential Personal Brand podcast. Visit RoryVaden.com for more.
Connect with AJ
AJ is a million-dollar consultant and international speaker. Over the last decade, she has built and managed multiple 7 figure businesses and is currently the CEO of Brand Builders Group where she uses her expertise and unique talents to both streamline back end operations as well as creatively engineer the company’s front-facing personal brands.