We are extremely lucky to have two-time iTunes top 50 podcast host Jordan Harbinger on the show today. Jordan is a former Wall Street lawyer and an expert on social dynamics. His podcast, The Jordan Harbinger Show, receives a whopping five million downloads each month! He joins us today to share a wealth of knowledge about just what it takes to build a monster podcast like his.
One of Jordan’s central strategies is that he considers himself a fiduciary to his audience. He explains that many people think of their guests as the ones to be buttered up due to a desire to leverage their social standing. Jordan explains why this is wrong and hosts should instead consider themselves duty-bound to their listeners. Using this approach, hosts will be willing to do what it takes to ask their guests the tough questions their audience wants to hear and thus build a more interesting show.
Jordan also shares some of the other techniques he employs to keep his shows interesting and his audience coming back. He talks about how he uses his interests, track record, and the fact that he is roughly similar to most people as a benchmark. Jordan also shares what he learned from Robert Greene about extensive preparation, and dishes out a few hot takes on questions every would-be host needs to be asking themselves before thinking they will get rich or famous from their show. Make sure you catch Jordan on this one because he is on fire!
To learn more about how to build and monetize your personal brand, click here to request a free strategy call
Key Points From This Episode:
- Perspectives on building a reputation by advocating those around you.
- The idea that one negative piece of publicity can overrule many positive ones.
- A strategy for earning respect through viewing one’s role to their audience as ‘fiduciary’.
- Things a host will do differently once they adopt a fiduciary mentality.
- A guest also has a responsibility to their audience thus should be ready for tough questions.
- The role of Jordan’s track record and ‘normal-ness’ in why his audience keeps watching him.
- Why Jordan believes his own interest in his guests will make them appealing to his audience.
- Strategies for keeping content fresh such as getting out of one’s comfort zone.
- The value of being original over rehashing shock factor content in building an audience.
- An argument for embracing a copycat approach in the first years of mastering a craft.
- The value of hard work: Jordan prepares for interviews for up to 30 hours.
- A good interviewer adds value to their guest by making connections they haven’t seen yet.
- How interviewing Robert Greene taught Jordan that preparation will make his show better.
- Apps and audiobooks Jordan uses to speed up his preparation time.
- Why doing research oneself leads to understanding the true gems in a guest’s story.
- A breakdown of how making money through sponsored podcasts is not realistic for most.
- Ways to make money out of podcasting if your show has a niche audience.
- Two types of audience appeal (niched and general) and how they are incompatible.
- Why a podcast that markets a niched business will never become huge.
“If you only think about the listener and you forget the rest then you actually create a better show. Your audience trusts you more.” — @JordanHarbinger [0:07:50]“If you only think about the listener and you forget the rest then you actually create a better show. Your #audience trusts you more.” — @JordanHarbinger #personalbranding #influentialpersonalbrandpodcast Click To Tweet
“People always go, ‘How did you decide where to pivot and where to take your interviews?’ And the answer is my own curiosity – within limitations.” — @JordanHarbinger [0:11:54]“People always go, ‘How did you decide where to #pivot and where to take your interviews?’ And the answer is my own #curiosity – within limitations.” — @JordanHarbinger #brand #personalbranding #influentialpersonalbrandpodcast Click To Tweet
“There’s a reason journalists always want to be first. Nobody cares about the second and third version of the same thing.” — @JordanHarbinger [0:13:11]“There’s a reason #journalists always want to be first. Nobody cares about the second and third version of the same thing.” — @JordanHarbinger #personalbranding #influentialpersonalbrandingpodcast #brand Click To Tweet
“For me, podcasting is my business. I’m depending on scale but I have a quarter million downloads per episode. That didn’t happen overnight, it happened over 13 stinking years.” — @JordanHarbinger [0:29:43]“For me, #podcasting is my #business. I’m depending on #scale but I have a quarter million #downloads per episode. That didn’t happen overnight, it happened over 13 stinking years.” — @JordanHarbinger #personalbranding #brand… Click To Tweet
To learn more about how to build and monetize your personal brand, click here for our free video course
About Jordan Harbinger
Jordan is a Wall Street lawyer turned interview talk-show host, and a communications and social dynamics expert. He has hosted a Top 50 iTunes podcast for over 12 years and receives over five million downloads per month, making The Jordan Harbinger Show one of the most popular podcasts in the world. On the show, Jordan deconstructs the playbooks of the most successful people on earth and shares their strategies, perspectives, and practical insights with the rest of us.
Jordan Harbinger — https://www.jordanharbinger.com/
The Jordan Harbinger Show — https://www.jordanharbinger.com/podcast/
Free Brand Building Call — https://brandbuildersgroup.com/podcall/
Tony Robbins — https://www.tonyrobbins.com/
Chelsea Handler — https://www.chelseahandler.com/
Avicii — https://www.last.fm/music/Avicii
Avicii Documentary Trailer — https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHwkOeMQQ0g
James Earl Jones — https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000469/
Conan O’Brien — https://teamcoco.com/
Howard Stern — https://www.howardstern.com/
Daniel Goleman — http://www.danielgoleman.info/
Robert Greene — https://powerseductionandwar.com/
The Laws of Human Nature — https://amzn.to/37GM6d2
48 Laws of Power — https://amzn.to/3bXNtr6
Mastery — https://amzn.to/2T0akJU
Click the link below to listen and subscribe!
We will give you free 30-day access to 25 of our most popular interviews on video in your own private members-only area. So go right now, rate us, review us and then send a screenshot of it into [email protected] and we’ll get you set up with free access to our most popular videos interviews all in one place. Also, just please share, share, share this podcast with anyone who you think might enjoy it.
And until next time, remember that building a business isn’t nearly as valuable as building a reputation.
Connect With Rory
Rory Vaden is the New York Times bestselling author of Take the Stairs. His insights have been featured in the Wall St. Journal, Forbes, CNN, Entrepreneur, Inc, and several other major media outlets. As a world-renowned speaker, his TEDx talk has been viewed over 2 million times. He is the Co-Founder of Brand Builders Group and the host of the Influential Personal Brand podcast. Visit RoryVaden.com for more.
Connect with AJ
AJ is a million-dollar consultant and international speaker. Over the last decade, she has built and managed multiple 7 figure businesses and is currently the CEO of Brand Builders Group where she uses her expertise and unique talents to both streamline back end operations as well as creatively engineer the company’s front-facing personal brands.