Today on the Influential Personal Brand Podcast, we welcome Jay Papasan, who is a bestselling author, an executive at Keller Williams Realty Inc., and a co-owner of KellerINK, Keller Capital, and Papasan Properties Group. In today’s interview we have the chance to learn from Jay, who is behind titles such as The One Thing and The Millionaire Real Estate Agent, and thus has solid gold perspectives on the topic of writing bestsellers.
Today, Jay shares some amazing tips on producing world-class content and then spreading it through excellent promotional strategies. In the process of writing a bestseller, Jay is a believer in advancing the thinking or solution to an existing problem instead of coming up with an original or complex idea. He also talks about how to refine your idea by setting it up to relieve a pain rather than attain a pleasure, and by testing it out through teaching it before getting down to writing your book.
When it comes to promotion, Jay talks about the value of planning to sell huge quantities at once, and how to build a reputation through hashtags and weekly networking breakfasts. Additionally, he teaches us about the unexpected returns gained through appearing in bestseller lists and airport book stores. Tune in to hear the wisdom of this legend in the world of influencers!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Jay’s perspectives on what makes a bestseller: luck (timing), and a simple new approach.
- Know the problem you solve in relation to the world.
- Advance current thinking rather than come up with a revolutionary idea.
- The two types of self help-books: personality-driven, and solutions-driven.
- People are more likely to invest in your strategy if it relieves pain than pursues pleasure.
- Find a self-help model by locating patterns in the best practices of successful people.
- Self-help models that are simple are preferable to those that are or complex.
- The value of presentations in testing new material and locating rare stories for your book.
- Jay’s success story about thinking big to sell a lot of copies at once.
- Jay’s weekly promotion activities: speaking, podcasts, columns, and networking.
- How to create and follow up on hashtags to gain visibility.
- How seemingly small promotional activities can translate into huge opportunities.
- Networking breakfasts, and how to keep in touch with your network through newsletters.
- How bestseller lists can help to leverage further visibility by store placement deals they offer.
- Investing in airport bookshops won’t sell many books but can produce other great returns.
“I think all three books benefitted from timing and a simple new approach, and I think those are the key ingredients. If you don’t have them, you’re not building on the right foundation.” — @jaypapasan
“I think all three books benefitted from timing and a simple new approach, and I think those are the key ingredients. If you don’t have them, you’re not building on the right foundation.” — @jaypapasan… Click To Tweet
“I’m an introvert but every Wednesday I have coffee with a stranger. I have been doing that for 6 years. I started doing it when The One Thing launched because I knew that if I didn’t do some networking activity I would get burned. My goal was to add 50 cool people to my network a year. — @jaypapasan
“I’m an introvert but every Wednesday I have coffee with a stranger. I have been doing that for 6 years. I started doing it when The One Thing launched because I knew that if I didn’t do some networking activity I would get burned.… Click To Tweet
To learn more about how to build and monetize your personal brand, click here to request a free strategy call
About Jay Papasan
Jay Papasan is the #1 Wall St Journal bestselling author of The One Thing, which has sold over 1.5 million copies worldwide and been translated into 30 different languages. Jay is also Vice President and Executive Editor at Keller Williams Realty, Inc., the world’s largest real estate company. Alongside his wife Wendy, he is also the co-owner of Papasan Properties Group in Austin, TX. Whether working with his wife to raise funds for Heroes for Children, inspiring others to take action toward their goals, or aiming to be the best husband and father he can be, Jay strives to remain awake and aware – with clarity and focus on his values and goals.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Click the link below to listen and subscribe!
Connect With Rory
Rory Vaden is the New York Times bestselling author of Take the Stairs. His insights have been featured in the Wall St. Journal, Forbes, CNN, Entrepreneur, Inc, and several other major media outlets. As a world-renowned speaker, his Tedx talk has been viewed over 2 million times. He is the Co-Founder of Brand Builders Group and the host of the Influential Personal Brand podcast. Visit RoryVaden.com for more.
Connect with AJ
AJ is a million-dollar consultant and international speaker. Over the last decade, she has built and managed multiple 7 figure businesses and is currently the CEO of Brand Builders Group where she uses her expertise and unique talents to both streamline back end operations as well as creatively engineer the company’s front-facing personal brands.