If people don’t know about you -- they can’t do business with you.
In today’s video, I’m talking about how to boost exposure. I’m Kristen Hartnagel and I’m a founding team member with Brand Builders Group and a personal brand strategist.
Our clients are always looking for ways to let more people know about who they are and what they do. Podcasts are a great way to gain exposure, expand your reach and increase your followers. But if you aren’t a podcast host then be a guest!
Here is my TOUR strategy -- 4 steps to starting your own podcast tour
Template -- Create templates for outreach attempts:
Invest time on the front end to create your process and outreach language. You may decide to limit your outreach to 3 -5 attempts.
- Mix it up:
- LinkedIn message
- Example of outreach template formula:
- Appreciation – what do you respect about their show?
- Introduction -- tell them who you are, a little about yourself and how you’d love to be considered as a guest
- Value – explain what’s in it for them (listeners) what you bring -- your message -- and how you believe listeners will find it valuable
- Connect -- suggest a time to connect for a call to learn about their goals and further explore the benefits of your relationship – be ready to talk about the value you bring
- Include a link to your calendar to make it easy to select a date
- Attach your Media Guide
Outline -- Create your Media Guide:
You may not have all of these but include what you can from this list:
- PDF with your head shot or photo
- Your bio
- Your passion (why audiences relate to your message -- what value you provide to their listeners)
- Links to your media appearances
- Your social media, website and blog links
- List of possible questions they can ask you
- List of additional themes/topics about which you’re positioned to offer some valuable insights
- Suggest the last question be: “(your name), where should people go if they want to connect with you or learn more about you?”
- If you are set up for and want to create an affiliate relationship be sure to include information about that. Something like: (By the way, we’re happy to provide you with an affiliate tracking link. Some of the other podcasts we’ve been on make money from this because we pay referral fees.)
Utilize a System -- Create your tour process:
- Set goal: I want to be on X number of podcasts by ___ date.
- Do a Search: https://player.fm/ is a great resource for podcast categories so you can find the best ones -- hover over “Discover” and themes drop down to search
- Pick your top 10 (you’ll go through this process until you reach your goal)
- Block off time for outreach and follow up (this can be delegated)
- Prepare: learn about the specific logistics and possible tech requirements.
Record your results:
Create a tracker or spreadsheet to capture results. Go through your system for your top 10 then start over until you reach your goal. Include podcast name, host name, contact info, sent touch #1, #2, #3, etc., Notes, referrals (affiliate Y/N), etc.
FIRST touch template example (LinkedIn message or email):
Hi ___, I really like what you’re doing. I was checking out your podcast and love the way you (list what you like/appreciate/respect).
I’m reaching out because I see a lot of synergies and would love to be considered as a guest. My area of expertise is (what, who is your audience, how -- something like:) helping spirit-led leaders and entrepreneurs with strategies to connect to their peace, purpose and power using my 5 step system so they can strengthen their intuition, build stronger relationships, and enjoy their life and success without sabotaging fear and limiting beliefs.
Let’s have a call together to learn more about your goals so we can optimize the value I bring. You can see my availability here (link to your calendar). Select a time that works for you and we’ll be all set.
Looking forward to connecting! In the meantime, I attached my media guide for your review.
SECOND touch template example if they don’t reply attempt #1:
Not sure if you saw my first email (forward it so it’s below the signature of this current email so they don’t have to hunt for it) so I thought I’d follow up to see when we can have a brief call together about the possibility of working together.
A little more about why I feel your audience would benefit from you and I having a conversation together: (List some results/outcomes/your passions).
My media guide is attached for your review -- I included some questions that highlight the core message of ____ which is what so many people really care about.
Are you available ___ or ____? Or, here is a link to my calendar if that helps (link to you calendar)
I look forward to the opportunity to explore together.
Create your remaining touch templates for email, phone call, or LinkedIn message.
Go forth and increase exposure, establish your positioning and drive traffic to your business so you can serve more people!
Kristen Hartnagel is a Founding Member and Personal Brand Strategist with Brand Builders Group and the creator of the Peace Purpose and Power podcast dedicated to helping people free their imagination and ignite their souls. She is a professional speaker and a certified Infinite Possibilities trainer.
Connect with Kristen:
As a Professional Singer, songwriter and recording artist, her favorite way to deliver her message is with keynote concerts. Throughout her career, Kristen has been part of 4 startups. Working with NYT bestselling authors, award-winning talent management agents and 7-figure influencers. She is leading a movement to help people release the past, live in the present, and take charge of their future.